Monday, July 20, 2020

Couldn't Make This Up If I Tried...

Hi there, friends.
Didn’t expect a blog post from me today, now did you?

Join the club.
I didn’t expect to be typing this from the comfort of the couch, with my favorite fluff ball by my side.

You know what else I didn’t expect?

To walk into the hospital at 5:30 this morning and be told that my surgery had been canceled and my doctor is no longer practicing at the hospital.

(Feel free to read that several times. Yes, you are deciphering the words correctly).

People, I couldn’t make this up if I tried.

To say that this is a train wreck is not quite a strong enough phrase. 
To say that I have absolutely no idea what happens next is also quite the understatement. 
Do I just go home and resume my life, with a casual side of heart failure?

I moved my entire family, closed up work for a few weeks, rescheduled other appointments and procedures for every member of my family (even the dog!), prepared and planned every last detail, did the emotional goodbyes with my family this morning…and then got sent home 10 minutes after I arrived.

I’d also like to point out that this is now the second time this year that my surgery has been canceled. Different procedures. Different doctors. Different states. Same outcome.

2020, friends. One for the books.

I’ve spent all day on the phone, calling the disappearing doctor’s now former office, my home cardiologist, the hospital, every member of my family, desperately trying to piece together what happened. 

More pieces of this seriously screwed-up puzzle are still coming in, but as of now all I know is my surgeon unexpectedly and abruptly left the practice. If I glean correctly, this happened last Thursday. Another doctor in the same practice evidently called my home cardiologist to tell him on Friday. 

Neither one of them thought to call me. 

When the office staff received my pre-op labs and COVID test, somehow they didn’t see that as a GIANT CLUE that no one had called me.

So here we are.

I received a phone call this afternoon from the disappearing doctor’s colleague who never called me. It was a very sincere and heartfelt apology. He took complete ownership for the absolutely unfathomable error. As a highly sensitive person, I value a good apology. But at this present moment, it’s not enough.

And much more importantly, what the heck do I do now?

I’ve put out some feelers, I’m doing some more research. To be honest, at this point part of me is just throwing my hands up and hoping that something just falls into my lap.

Unrealistic? 
To say the least.

I have been moved to tears by the outpouring of love and support from our family and friends. I cannot even begin to describe how much it has meant to me and my family, and even though I know this situation is of absolutely no fault of my own, a small part of me is almost embarrassed to show up empty-handed. 

As if people went out of their way to say congratulations on your graduation, but it turns out you failed a class and didn’t actually get your diploma.

For now I’ll just say thank you from the bottom of my ever-so-slightly-still-broken heart. 

Onward and upward, friends.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my friend! My heart is aching for you! Praying the Lord moves in a B I G way for you! Virtual hugs and love ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much planning and work for nothing. I hope you get a heartfelt—no pun intended—apology from the doctor’s office manager. Sending virtual hugs and love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia--you are too good and fabulous a person to have the system screw up so horribly on such a critical situation. I am so sorry and know if anyone can get them to straighten up, you will. Much love to you and your heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh shit! No need to be embarrassed, that was awful what they did (actually didn’t do!) Prayers for finding the right doctor and things get moving again in the right direction and prayers for you to get this correctly taken care of (and maybe a sign that this wasn’t the right doctor)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When a door closes...let me know if I need to show up with a crowbar to get a window opened! I’m so very disappointed for the delay and future uncertainty. Please keep us posted and I will be praying for a positive path to soon be discovered!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending lots of good karma your way, Lydia. And hope that it will work out soon. xo

    ReplyDelete