Sunday, January 8, 2012

Geological Excavation

My first appointment at Mayo was with the otorhinolaryngology department...otherwise known as the ENT (ear, nose and throat) department. Some of you may assume that I met with ENT to discuss my general need to live in an allergy-free bubble, but guess again! Apparently I like geology so much that I grew my very own stone in my salivary gland. As per usual, no one really knows why on earth I have a stone in my submandibular gland, but the doctors suspect it has something to do with my stellar nutritional status. My 5 mm stone is in the duct of my submandibular gland, which is under your jaw bone, to the right of my chin. The stone blocks my salivary gland, so my neck and jaw swell up any time I attempt to eat anything, and sometimes just for kicks. Mayo Clinic is one of two places in the world that has an amazing machine that endoscopically removes salivary gland stones, or sialolithiasis for all of you fancypants out there. As my doctor explained it, the machine goes into your salivary gland through your mouth (yes, it is TINY), plays a Star Wars-like game to shoot the stone with a laser, and then tries to remove the pieces.

I met with two wonderful doctors and scheduled my procedure for the 17th. Unfortunately, my stone is large and very far down in the duct, so there is only a fairly small chance that the doctors will be able to get it with the Star Wars machine. More likely, they will have to do surgery to remove my entire gland and I will end up with a lovely 2 inch scar on my neck. Don't worry, we all have several salivary glands, so apparently I won't even notice it is missing!

I also need surgery to repair my feeding tube (again, for you fancypants, that is granuloma resection and stoma revision), so the doctor is going to try and collaborate with my surgeon (who I will meet on the 13th) to see if both surgeries can be done at once. Amazing!

11 comments:

  1. Lydia - your strength through everything thrown your way has been amazing. I have no doubt you and your positive attitude have made everyone in your life change for the better. Thank you for sharing, we're praying for you! Keep smiling and please let us know if you need anything! Love, Mary & Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sense of humor! Keep it up, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and praying for you! Your blog is awesome. Great way to keep everyone informed! I can't wait for that party!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing this Lydia. I am glad to be able to keep tabs on you. Please let me know if you need anything. A magazine? iTunes credits? Books? Phone calls? Love you lots... Hang in there Lady!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness brains. I know we haven't talked in a long time, since 2400, but now I feel really out of the loop. I had no idea what you have been going through. Best of luck and lots of wishes for a healthy and happy recovery. I hope lots of treats will be coming your way in no time. Love, Rachel cannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're thinking of you! Thanks for writing this some can see how you're doing. Let us know if there's anything you need! Trisha, Mark & Emma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lydia,
    What a great idea. I have also decided that you should write a book. You are very good at this! Lets just get rid of the medical issues,please.
    Thank you for doing a blog. It is the first time I have seen one, and it will keep us up to date.
    All kidding aside, I am sending you a lot of love and hoping for great results.
    I will look forward to reading this every day.
    Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lydia. I had the same salivary duct issue earlier this year. I massaged and pushed on mine obsessively and my doctor said that helped break it up--though it sounds like yours is larger than mine. The goiter thing on the side of the neck is nice, isn't it?? :-)

    Your blog is amazing and I love your sense of humor. Keep it up, and know that there are lots of people out here thinking of you and sending good vibes your way. Take care! Love, --Betsy Roop

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK here goes 4th attempt to make a post! Will send you a long note on why! We are sending you warm thoughts to your very cold locations and hugs to you and your Dad. After reading your Blog I know that your sense of humor will be your greatest ally. Hang in Lydia, great days are coming!!! Love, Kath and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Lydia, wow, you win the prize for the craziest medical maladies known to the human species AND for knowing how to spell them. Can you pronounce them also? Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers and keep your wonderful determination and sense of humor as the docs unravel all of this. We all love you and look forward to seeing you back at camp next summer. Barbara and Bob

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lyd, you have such a positive attitude and an amazing sense of humor! I am enjoying keeping up with your blog (granted I can't pronounce half of what you are writing in here) and I enjoy you giving all of us the opportunity to keep track of everything you are going through. Best of luck with all of this and stay strong!
    Love,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete