Sunday, January 8, 2012

My journey to the Mayo Clinic

Greetings blog readers! My Dad and I arrived in Rochester, Minnesota on Thursday January 5th. In short, this place is AMAZING. The facility is unlike anything I have ever seen and the staff is friendly, organized and professional.  For those of you wondering what on earth I'm doing in Minnesota in the middle of January, let me bring you up to speed.

In 2011, my body broke. That's really the easiest way to describe it, but let me give you a few more details. Following months of tests and ridiculously bizarre diets, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis in early May. Gastroparesis means that I have a paralyzed stomach. My fine dining options include non-fat/non-fiber/non-dairy liquids, egg whites, white rice, white bread and the occasional potato. Don't worry, if you're really lucky, I might invite you over for dinner some day!

After several months of additional testing and joining a clinical trial, I was hospitalized in the fall for malnutrition (shocker). While there, the doctors decided to look into my ever-growing list of unusual symptoms. They ran numerous tests, stared at me with bizarre expressions and uttered the phrase, "well I've never heard of THAT before!" more times than I could count. Before sending me on my merry way, I was diagnosed with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease. UCTD is a polite way of saying that my body hasn't quite decided what connective tissue disease it would like to claim as its own. In short, I carry several symptoms/traits of several different connective tissue diseases (lupus, scleroderma, etc.). The way I figure, my body wants to be able to make an extremely educated decision and it wants to try out lots of options before reaching a final verdict. See, I'm just outsmarting everyone, really.

While in the hospital, my doctors also decided that I did not posess enough bling and needed to accessorize. They weren't thrilled with my 30 lb. weight loss, and with Thanksgiving coming up, they really wanted me to get my own special version of Thanksgiving dinner. A few weeks later, I got surgery to have a PEG-J feeding tube inserted into my stomach and small intestine. Turns out that "failure to thrive" applies not only to babies, but also to anyone who only eats baby food. Who knew?

Just in case my husband and family was getting bored, the doctors also discovered that I have superior mesenteric artery syndrome. SMA is a super rare condition that means my aorta and superior mesenteric artery are squeezing my small intestine like pliers. Oops.

So. Add this past year to my arsenal of allergies, raynauds disease and graves disease and you will see, my friends, why I have decided that January was a great time of year to visit balmy Minnesota.

11 comments:

  1. You inspire me and I love you. Keep that optimism up! Thinking about you a lot. Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyd, thank you for blogging about what is going and letting us be a part of your re-building. We love you so much and we are looking forward to your kick-ass party when this is all said and done. We have really missed your beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia: it all sounds like you will get everything taken of there and they will have recommendations for treatment that will get you better; your blog is great and very informative: answered all my questions so I can stop asking your parents for explanations which I am sure they are happy not to have to repeat again, take good care and we are thinking about you and wishing you the best, Susan Gilman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia,
    This is my R.S.V.P. to your banquet when all of this is over. I can hardly wait to come to the party.
    Your blog is a good idea in keeping us posted. Hang in there and the best to you.
    Love,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia,
    Hi, Charlotte sent me your Blog - what a great way to keep us posted. WOW, what a journey. So glad your dad is with you.
    Keep up your sense of humor.
    I'm thinking about you and hope the Doctors come up with a solution soon.
    This also is my R.S.V.P. to your banquet.

    Love,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lydia,
    I didn't know your talents extended to the written word as well! Your blog is awesome and illustrates beautifully how your humor has helped you and others hang on through this long roller coaster diagnostic ride! We're all praying that this mystery will soon be solved!
    Love, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Lydia,
    Thank you for finding the words and energy to blog and for the invitation through your parents to join. Your spirit transcends these earthly slings--you are in our thoughts and prayers daily. I, for one, am hopeful the endoscopic approach to the salivary stone will be a smashing success. "May yo" have a happy, healthy new year! Dave Smith

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am fascinated to read your story. I am good friends with Shira Rosenwald who sent me your blog. I have been sick for 10 years with little to no relief and no one to figure out what's wrong with me. My parents keep threatening to admit me to a place and have them test me for everything under the sun and my poor husband has been a saint for dealing with it. I am sorry you have to go through this but I am happy to be reading that I am not the only person with health issues that appear to be a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi. I just found your blog while doing research on SMA syndrome, which I think I have. Have you looked into Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome? You mentioned undifferentiated connective tissue disease and raynauds, and GI issues. if you want more info, please check the Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation website (EDNF.org)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I have looked into it, but really appreciate your thoughtfulness and would love to do some additional research. Do you have Ehlers-Danlos? Wishing you health and happiness!

      Delete
  10. Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. Driving instructor

    ReplyDelete