Thursday, January 19, 2012

A great big PICC me up!

Blog friends, today was a BIG day. I got to the clinic at 8:00 AM and just walked in my hotel room at 8:00 PM. During the past twelve hours, the following things have occurred:

1. I drank a disgusting amount of barium so the radiologist could take an up close and personal look at my stomach and small intestine. The nurse told me it wouldn't taste that bad...bless her heart.

2. I met with my internist again to access our progress thus far and discuss our plans for the next week...she even mentioned *gasp* coming home!

3. I had a meeting with the absolute best dietician I have ever seen. We are going to try a bunch of new formulas and see if my feeding tube and I can learn to get along a little better.

4. My doctors decided that I simply did not have enough bling. So I am currently sporting a 24 hour blood pressure monitor, that causes me to stand completely still every ten minutes. I got some interesting looks while trying to walk to my appointments today. I also got a PICC line, so I can stop getting in needle wrestling matches with every nurse who tries to take my blood. Mid-procedure, my veins clamped down...shocker. Guess we can see why this is necessary.

DRUMROLL PLEASE

5. I met with the GI doc again who told me...my gastroparesis is gone!

So, before you go searching the internet for details, allow me to explain. I had (haha! past tense!) idiopathic gastroparesis, which means an unexplained paralysis of the stomach. As it appears, somewhere in the past two years, I got a virus...most likely from my little darlings at school, but who knows. Chances are, I didn't even know I had this virus (I'm a teacher people, I don't have time to notice things like the fact that I don't feel well). This virus, in a nutshell, caused holy havoc in my body. Among other things, it caused gastroparesis. The "beauty" of having idiopathic gastroparesis is that sometimes it goes away.

My diagnosis now is visceral hypersensitivy syndrome. Basically after your body goes through enough trama, your brain decides that it has had enough, refuses to allow anything in and pretty much shuts down your system. Can't say that I blame my brain, but now I have the daunting task of retraining it. As my doctor said, "I don't envy you. This is one of the hardest tasks in medicine, because you can't just cut something out or take a magic pill." The next year will not be an easy one, my friends, but mark my words that I will get through it. I will meet with Behavioral Medicine in the next couple of weeks to create a plan for reteaching my brain. As far as my noggin is concerned, there is still a lot of chaos in my body. I need to show it otherwise. No big deal.

I'm standing at the bottom of a giant mountain, but let's be honest, I love hiking and the best view is from the top.

10 comments:

  1. You go girl!!! If anyone can do it, YOU most certainly can! You are one strong lady and so incredibly inspiring :) Best of Lyd!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, God!!!! Amen! Amen!

    Love you so much!

    Mom xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahoo! Set off the fireworks , get out the marching band and majorettes and uncork the champagne! Lydia's hard-drive can be rebuilt with a little bit of spit and elbow grease in no time! Awesome news to end the day, week, month with! I'm so happy for you and the rest of us too! What a relief it is. Love, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. my heart is so happy for you. i feel really good about this. ah. what wonderful news. an explanation of some sort! ( i know it is going to be hard. but i believe in your strength. so im not worried) yay. answered some prayers. but i have one in there about us owning horses in neighboring stalls. just threw it in. i mean why not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have complete faith in your brain. This seems like a step in the right direction! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is thank goodness for the doctors at the Mayo Clinic. We are routing for you everyday here at Wolftrap.
    YAY for the good news and the daunting task of retraining your brain seems not so daunting in perspective. Hugs from us all!!! Lois

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok now I'm crying. What beautiful perspective with your mountain comparison. Sometimes the climb is pretty awesome too :)
    Love you bushels
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so happy for you!! And we will be here if ever you want a buddy to hike with you! Way to go not giving up hope. You are in our prayers, friend!

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so so brave, Lydia. Happiness is knowing that all the prayers are being answered. Great news!

    ReplyDelete