Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Apple: 4, Me: 1...but that's better than zero!

Well friends, I have defeated the apple. Mua ha ha ha ha.

Over the last 3 weeks, I have conquered plain pasta, wheat bread and reduced fat cheddar cheese, but the apple was proving to be quite the competitor. For the record, as a teacher who is paid to represent the amazingness of the coveted red apple on my desk, I do not appreciate getting thrown to the curb by a piece of lowly pie-making fruit. In addition to the whole GI situation, it became shockingly apparent that I haven't actually chewed anything crunchy in over a year...and let me tell you, my jaw needs some serious boot camp. Jaw calisthenics perhaps?

My exposure therapy with food is a very slow and painful process. On day one, I eat it in the most broken down form possible (all natural, pureed applesauce in this case). I eat that form day after day until I stop getting sick. Then I bump it up a notch (chunky, peeled applesauce) and eat that form day after day until I stop getting sick. Then this week I started eating teeny tiny pieces of peeled apples. Now granted, my body isn't thrilled that I have a) forced it to start eating foods that make noise, b) forced it to go under the knife and have my throat sliced open and c) forced it to keep on keeping on during this whole process. Regardless, I think we can rate the reaction to actual apples as "less than pleased." Well guess what brain, I'm persistent (trust me, I just took a personality test today...so I know these things) and today I conquered the apple. Did it have a peel on? Nope. Was it cut up as if being fed to an infant? Maybe. Was it the fifth time I had tried it? Perhaps.

However...I did it.

Break out the soy milk! Parrrrtay!

In other news, despite the fact that I've had a PICC line since early January, my body decided last week that I'm all of a sudden allergic to the sterile covering, and I now need to wear infant mittens to bed to keep from scratching my arm off. I mean, I guess my skin was bored and a new case of hives felt like some festive decorating for leap-day, right?

Well...all that ended today because...I've been de-picced! I don't want to jinx myself, but I think the removal of my picc line is further indication that my hypothetical news from last week might become actuality...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

So, I'm thinking that I should replace the new lack of bicep bling with some actual bling...thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Definitely - bling is needed!! Congrats on the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia!

    Long time reader, first time commenter.

    Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading, laughing, and trying to understand what all of this must be like! Good. Lord. At least you get to see beautiful MN at the height of the season...

    I'm wishing you all the best and hoping you get to eat some pizza real soon. Or at least, maybe a pomegranate or something ;)

    Leigh Boorman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! So proud of you and your tenacity!!! I think you deserve some really nice baubles to replace your hospital bling. I'm thinking that Tiffany Tyson's Corner might have an appointment for you. Love you so much... Hang in there (visualize kitten dangling from clothesline.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could get an actual bicep cuff to replace the PICC line; that would make you look kind of like Xena Warrior Princess, which I think would be appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. im up late.. whats new. and my night was just made by the infant mittens. GO BRAINS GO.. so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete