Monday, February 6, 2012

It's official: My intestines are smart

Well friends, my intestines are officially smart. The results from my SmartPill came back and my intestines function as they should...woohoo! I have a lot of scar tissue from the past year of chaos, which unfortunately isn't going anywhere, but hopefully it won't cause too many problems once I get back into the land of food that crunches. So the first person ever to complete the SmartPill test passed with flying colors...that makes me a genius, right?

In other news, I'm allergic to my feeding tube. Yes, that is correct. The granulation tissue that was cauterized during my surgery is all back and surrounded by hives and blisters. Not ideal, but it just gives me even more motivation to get this show on the road to recovery and get rid of this lovely accessory. Don't tell my tube, but I'd be OK with switching to, ya know, a large necklace instead of a bedazzled enteral feeding accessory.

I also met with the Department of Allergy and Immunology today. My doctor went through my skin testing from last week and wants to do a few more tests tomorrow. The doctor isn't sure that all of my sinuses are a) working properly and b) in the correct spot in the first place. I'm an artist people...maybe my body decided that aesthetically, my sinuses really belonged somewhere else...what can I say?

Interestingly enough, turns out that strawberries belong to a group of foods that naturally carry a high level of histamines. Some people are exceptionally sensitive to these naturally occurring histamines (I suggested that this tiny group of people be renamed "The Lydias"...I'm still waiting for feedback). So if I eat a strawberry (or drink champagne or red wine), my throat isn't going to close...I just might break out in one heck of an explosion of hives. So maybe at rehab I can start a "gradual strawberry infusion" program...totally normal, right?

This Friday, I will finally move out of the dear Residence Inn and will be moving in with an absolutely wonderful family who has no idea of the hot mess they have invited in...bless their hearts. Perhaps some oatmeal scotchies will help soften the blow of my extensive collection of allergies and accessories. On another exceptionally exciting note, compliments of Nana, my hubby booked a flight to Rochester for next week :)

3 comments:

  1. Where have your sinuses migrated too? Now that will be an interesting mystery to solve and may get you in another medical journal! That feeding tube likes you as much as you like it. Have you told it that as soon as you can you will retire it to the medical supplies garbage heap? And the oatmeal scotchies sound great--everyone will love them, including Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like that feeding tube should go, it's caused you too much trouble already — how would your body like a diet of oatmeal scotchies? So happy to hear your husband will be able to visit — safe travels for him, happy moving day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i officially love your nana. go brains go. <-- i always knew you were meant for greatness. i mean i called you brains before you started showing everyone your secret powers here. love you. do you have an address wherever you are/ will be? email me that. or something. xooooooox.o and xo

    ReplyDelete