Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Geological Excavation Complete

Well friends, I am now officially one salivary gland lighter. Yesterday afternoon, the surgeon removed my right submandibular gland and found it filled with another colossal stone (bigger than the first) and several small ones. Why my one gland was moonlighting as a rock quarry, we may never know, but regardless, it's gone now.

I spent the night in the hospital, which at Mayo, is a heck of a lot better than spending the night at any other hospital. Was I feeling rather rough? Ohhhhh Yes. But I did have my own room with on-demand movies and unlimited ginger ale and jello...gold star Mayo. The doctor had to insert a drain, so I was attached to a complicated web of tubes, in addition to my IV and blood pressure monitor, which made for some interesting attempts to get out of bed. Side note, when a doctor tells you it is painless to remove the drain, first question whether or not he's actually had one himself...because I can assure you it is a false statement. Pulling a foot long tube out of a gaping hole in my neck is now officially checked off of the bucket list.

In other news, don't take it personally if it looks like I'm scowling at you. Chances are, I'm not actually scowling...or maybe I am...you'll never know, mua ha ha. The surgeon had to move my nerve out of the way to remove the gland and it got a bit stretched out...oops. My exercise routine now consists of several sets of jaw and smiling calisthenics to try to get my nerve back in shape...totally attractive.

Being the celebrity that I am, everyone wants to see me, so the surgeon thought he'd jump in on the party and request a follow up in 6-8 weeks. Ya know, just in case I haven't seen enough of the city. Besides, having a welcome back party for someone with my fame is probably good for tourism, right?

2 comments:

  1. Who wouldn't scowl after a fight with a pirate?? Love you Lyds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i speak for the world when i say-> you are brave as shit. ( inappropriate?.. im sorry. its how i feel) lovelovelove, abs

    ReplyDelete