Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Today's Homework

OK friends, I'm giving you a job.

It has been almost a week since the surgery on my submandibular gland. I was fortunate in that the doctor was able to get the stone out by blasting it with a laser and removing it endoscopically. Yesterday I got a CT scan of my sinuses, which also showed my glands.

The good news? The stone is completely gone, and there are no remaining fragments.

The bad news? The laser caused fairly extensive stenosis (abnormal narrowing) of the duct and now the gland can't function as it should. If it can't function, I have to get it removed.

SO. I have to give it another week to see if I can get rid of the "one-sided chipmunk" look. I've been instructed to "massage" (I use this word loosely...no part of the experience is something you'd wish for on Valentine's Day) the gland like you wouldn't believe and hope the duct decides to re-open itself.

Your assignment? Think open thoughts. Lots and lots of open thoughts about my saliva flowing freely (doesn't that just make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?).

And if you aren't inclined towards open thoughts, at least start thinking of some good stories I can tell people to explain the 4 inch scar on my neck. Preferably involving pirates.

2 comments:

  1. Little Lucy Jane has been thinking drooling thoughts for you all day. She's on her fourth outfit thanks the the drenchings. And on the matter of scarring, I direct you towards Keanu Reeves' great line from "The Replacements":

    Glory fades, wounds heal, and chicks dig scars.

    Cheers
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pirates. You and my 3 year old were meant to be. We have many pirate outfits you can barrow!

    ReplyDelete